Guidance services are an important aspect of Saint James Middle School. Academic counseling, national testing programs, and individual student scheduling are top priorities. Individual and group counseling services are also available to our students.
Here are some of our programs that are managed through the Middle School Guidance office:
- New Student Acclimation Activities - All students new to Saint James are assigned a “buddy” in their grade to help continue to orient them to our school. For students entering at the beginning of a school year, we have a New Student / Buddy Pizza Party prior to the first day of school to allow them to meet each other, get a more detailed school tour as it relates to their schedule, and make a plan to meet each other on the first day of school. If a student enters during the school year, his or her buddy will meet them before school and between classes for several days to help the new student find his or her way around.
- Advisory Activities - The counseling office provides Advisory lessons for all middle school grades twice weekly. We begin the year with sessions on study skills, then move into lessons related to character development.
- Standardized Testing - Each year in November our 8th graders take the PSAT 8/9 national test and in January, the CTP-4 (online version) is administered to 6th and 7th graders.
- Duke TIP (Talent Identification Program) - All 7th graders will have the opportunity to participate in Duke University’s Talent Identification Program. Students who choose to participate will take either the ACT or SAT between December and March. Based on their scores, some students are invited to become more involved in this program. Further involvement is at the discretion of the student’s parents.
- Naviance Family Connection - Students begin working in this important online educational portal in 6th grade when they take their first Learning Styles Assessment. We also use Naviance Family Connection in Middle School to do Career Assessments, Career Research, and begin building a resume that they will carry with them and update throughout High School.
- Career Awareness / Career Week - 7th graders will complete a Career Interest Inventory in Naviance Family Connection to help them prepare for one of our flagship middle school programs, 8th Grade Career Week. All 8th graders participate in Career Week each year in November. During this week they shadow 5 professionals of their choice. There are many preliminary assignments, many of them done through Naviance Family Connection, that lead up to the shadowing week.