The 21st Century Classroom
Integration of Technology at Saint James School
Saint James School operates on the belief that a strong academic curriculum and talented dedicated faculty, complemented by state-of-the-art technology, are the essential foundation of a 21st Century classroom. Because we live in an era where technology is pervasive, students and educators must be fluent in its use. Technology use empowers students by providing them with infinite learning possibilities that assist them in developing into tomorrow's leaders.
Technology integration provides purpose, relevance, and real-world connections to what our students are learning. Saint James School instructors create opportunities that motivate students to discover their potential and ambitions. The technology used enables students to harness information from multiple sources and, at the same time, take creativity to a new level.
With the 1:1 MacBook Air and iPad initiatives, Saint James School has changed the classroom learning environment. The administration and faculty attend weekly professional development workshops provided by the school's Education Technology Specialist. These workshops enable the faculty to stay abreast of the latest technology tools and provide useful ideas for integrating technology into individual disciplines. During the months when school is out of session, Saint James School sends faculty members to various technology workshops to collaborate with other colleagues from around the nation. Because technology is ever-changing, professional development for teachers provides on-going technology support to help them maintain a technology-enriched learning environment.
Highlights of 21st Century Technology at Saint James School
- Campus-wide wireless internet access
- Grades Pre-K3 through 12 provided with secure access to school network
- 1:1 MacBook Air program for grades 9-12
- 1:1 iPad program for middle school students grades 5-8
- Each elementary grade level, K-4, is equipped with an iPad cart with apps specific for each grade level
- Pre-K3 and Pre-K4 students are equipped with an iPod Touch cart and access to iPads
- Middle school and elementary school teachers have access to MacBook carts to bring to their classrooms
- Middle School and Elementary School students attend technology lab weekly for individualized instruction on applications
- All classrooms are equipped with interactive SMARTBoards and projectors
- onCampus, the Learning Management System, is a comprehensive student information system which provides a collaborative network between students, parents, teachers, and administration
- State-of-the-art iMac lab used for music composition class and business classes
Teachers Talking about the Technology
This is not a comprehensive list of how our teachers use technology in the classroom, but it will give you a good idea about how Saint James School has changed the classroom learning environment.